This plantain buttermix, is a great way of using your over ripen plantains. Instead of throwing the plantains in the bin, why not try making this buttermix which can form the base for most plantain recipes like, tatale, ofam, plantain cake, plantain waffles or however creative you want to be.
It has a spice kick to it but you can choose to leave out the pepper. Use this buttermix as a base for most of your plantain recipes. You can multiply this recipe up to make enough for your needs. This recipe makes about 2 cups for butter mix.
- 3 Very ripe Plantain (over ripened)
- 1/2 medium size White/ Red Onion ( shallots is a great option)
- 1/2 scotch bonnet pepper (to your taste)
- 20 g Fresh Ginger (about thumb size or to your taste)
- 1/2 tbsp AVK 7 Spice Blend
- Handful of Fresh Sage
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 3 tbsp of Self Raising Flour
In a blender, put all the ingredients and blend until smooth.
Pour mix and use as a base for other recipes or pour into freezer bags and freeze for future use.