This recipe for Akonfem nkatenkwan (Guinea Fowl Groundnut Soup) is just so easy, simple yet amazingly delicious.
We used Aftrad Village Kitchen’s Ready to Grill Guinea Fowl to cut down the cooking process. Due to how well-seasoned this Guinea Fowl is, there was no need to add any extra seasoning. Do try this simple recipe. Find the video illustration on the Youtube Channel.
This soup can be served hot with fufu, boiled rice, rice balls, boiled yams, boiled potatoes, boiled ripe plantains, or bread, or can be eaten on its own.
Here are some tips to know when your soup is cooked.
Three tips to check that the soup is cooked are:
- A) the soup simmers down, this is noticeable by the mark left from the original level of soup.
- B) A layer of oil is formed on the surface of the soup.
- C) The soup thickens and when taken off the heat and allowed to cool down, it doesn’t separate into a distinct layer of water and soup.
Akonfem Nkatekwan| Guinea Fowl Groundnut Soup
- 1 Aftrad Village Kitchen Ready to Grill Guinea Fowl
- 2 Medium sized Onions
- 5 Vine Medium Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 6 Fresh Gloves of Garlic
- 100 g or thumb-size fresh Ginger
- 2 Small Scotch Bonnet Pepper (or to your taste)
- 500 g Groundnut Paste
- 3 lt of Water
- Salt to taste
Cut up the already seasoned guinea fowl. Place in a soup pot.
Add in the onions, tomatoes, tomato paste, garlic, ginger and half a litre of water. Cover and let it steam for20 minutes or until veggies are soft.
Remove and blend the softened veggies. Add it back into the soup pot. Cover and let it simmer for about 10 minutes until a light layer of oil forms.
Now blend the groundnut paste with about a litre of water until smooth. Then add to soup pot. Top up soup with the rest of the water.
Turn up the heat and let the soup simmer for about 20minutes. Then turn down the heat and let it simmer gently until cooked to perfection. This stage could take an hour depending on your heat settings.
our soup is ready when the consistency is right for you and layer of oil forms at the top.